Reamstown Memorial Park
The Memorial Park Association of Reamstown, PA was started after World War II as a memorial to those who served in the war. It is a privately owned park that receives no funds from any government. All of the Park's funding comes from donations from individuals, businesses and charitable foundations. All of the Park's facilities are available for use by the public.
History of the Memorial Park Association of Reamstown, PA
The Memorial Park Association of Reamstown was started through the efforts of members of the Reamstown Fire Company, Reamstown Athletic Association and the East Cocalico Lions Club in 1946. The organization was charted by the State in that year. During 1946 and 1947 the grounds were landscaped, and playground equipment was installed. A Bandshell was erected in 1947 and later eating stands were built.
A Barre granite monument was erected by the Lions Club bearing the name of the men and women from East Cocalico Township who served in World War II. A baseball field was laid out and later built.
Aerial Photo of Reamstown taken April 29, 1940,
prior to the formation of the Reamstown Park.
Aerial Photograph of Reamstown taken on June 20, 1947
showing the park under construction and the War Memorial near completion.
A dedication celebration was held on Sunday, July 20, 1947, dedicating the War Memorial and Memorial Park. Many noted speakers attended including the State's Lt. Governor. In 1999, two more granite memorials were installed honoring the veterans who served in the Korean and Vietnam Wars. This was the basic start of our organization which is completely operated by volunteers from our area.
The Reamstown Community Center goes back to 1872 when John And Mary Getz deeded the land where the Community Center now stands for a school building. Total cost of the two floor school building was $2031.38. Construction lasted from 1871 to 1872. The Reamstown School operated from 1872 to late 1955.
The Park maintains two ball fields. Several years ago we had new lights installed for night games.
The "Newton Overholzer Kiddieland" Playground was dedicated in 1993 and named after a volunteer who served the Park for many years. The Playground is usually packed with children and their parents on any nice day.
The Pavilions are in the center of the Park and they are a means for financial support during the summer months. They are rented out to families or groups for reunions, church gatherings, company picnics and meetings. We also have a sand volley ball court, a tennis court and a basketball court. A jogging trail runs through the park.
Park Association President: Mike Burkholder, 738-2020, email@example.com
Park Groundskeeper: Sterling Smith - 336-2830
Community Center and Pavilion Rentals: Carol Smith, 336-2830
Return to Reamstown.org